Sunday 15 February 2015

Tlaquepaque & Guachimontones

The last couple of days have been busy ones. We've explored the areas close to the hostel and are starting to branch out. Guadalajara is an expansive city - so this means using city transit.

On V-day, we went to Tlaquepaque. Which promised something I hadn't seen a lot of since arriving - a true artisan district. So far, I've found most of the markets only offer what appears to be cheap lots bought from factories. Mind you I'm no expert but even the stalls where they appear to make things by hand tend to be repetitive and formulaic.

Tlaquepaque delivered as promised. It was much larger than I expected and it was fun to explore all the galleries and shops with my ladyfriend. Granted - original art comes at a price so we were forced to admire from afar but I'd rather do that than wade through the usual schlock.

Most of the shops forbid photos...so you'll have to believe me.

Being V-Day, we hit up a pizza place for a romantic dinner. After pouring over the menu trying to decipher the ingredients list - we managed to order a pizza covered in olives and arugula - ingredients neither of us like. Good thing adventure is the name of the game.

On the way home we passed a churro stand, the kind of which has been a bit of a white whale for us. Churros that are filled with caramel (or strawberry)....amazing! I have become a bit of a churro connoisseur since that fateful night in Sayulita when I said fuck it - food made in the bed of a pickup truck can't be that bad. I haven't looked back since. Fresh churros are one of my favorite snacks - to the point I am having fantasies about opening a stand in BC

Raring at the bit to chomp the amazing churro.
Spirit Animal?


Today we bussed out to Guachimontones. It was no Chichen Itza - pretty much just a bunch of rock retaining wall foundations and a couple of small pyramids - but interesting nonetheless as my knowledge base on the ancient civilizations of the Americas is lacking (and is limited to what Civilization has taught me...mainly that Montezuma is an asshole :-P).

It's apparently on the World Monuments Watch List of 100 Most Endangered Sites (not entirely certain why) - so I was happy to experience it while I can.






No comments:

Post a Comment