Thursday 2 October 2014

Vandweller Con 2014

I just returned from visiting my folks on the Island. Up there, I picked up another sleeping bag and some provisions for winterizing Walden. I left him with a babysitter and walked on - which meant taking the bus home. It's been a while since I've been on mass transit - I've forgotten how cozy it gets sometimes...this time the ride back downtown turned out to be kind of fun:

The guy sitting to my right struck up a conversation. He commented on the Dutch phrase book I was pouring over and we start talking about traveling. Turns out he was just back from Asia, technically homeless and doing the couch surfing thing - so naturally we start talking about the pros and cons of living in a van.

We then learn that the woman sharing the bench with me is also living in a van and joins the conversation. Theeeeeennnnnn the guy standing in the aisle next to her leans in and says that he's living in a bus at the moment and that he's going down to Cali next week like me - great minds think alike. Finally, the woman standing chimes in that she lived in a bus and van with her husband for some time.

Within arms reach. I had 4 people who were past, present and potential future vandwellers - weird right?

2 comments:

  1. Hello. I'm the guy who asked about your Dutch book. That was the funniest trip on the 257 I've had in a long time. Enjoy California.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. I enjoyed it also. Just checked out your blog - loved your post about Korean beer. We are definitely spoiled here on the coast. :-)

    ReplyDelete