Tuesday 14 October 2014

Sempervirens

Surprise, surprise - I'm at Starbucks - this time in Crescent City. I overheard the brainless barista beaking about how Canada hasn't done anything important (he was referring to the fact that we're testing the Ebola vaccine). I took that opportunity to get a refill and flash my maple leaf Starbucks card (as good as my passport). I didn't rebut his statement - I just let him serve me my coffee. The maple syrup in my veins has cooled down so I can get on with today's post...

Last night I popped down to a beach called "College Cove" - I was promised by the internet that it was clothing optional. Being a tid bit hippy and in need of a proper bath I figured it was a good spot for me. It was a stunning location - secluded and pretty empty (a few surfers and a group of young adults drinking). I approached the group and inquired about the clothing optional bit (I hadn't seen any signs). They said they didn't think it was but didn't care - and as they represented the majority - in I went!

It was a brief dip....just enough to rinse away the days of stink. I figured there are sharks in the area, and anyone who knows me - they are my kryptonite. I am convinced I am going to die by shark attack, so I didn't dally in the water (I felt they were probably there watching the seal-like surfers). After drying off, the group was suitably impressed and called me 'gangster' - which I can only assume is a colloquial compliment (or they knew exactly how many sharks were in the cove).

After cooking up some soup - I spent some time on some bluffs and at another beach taking photos. I then spent the night at the rest stop north of the town.

In the morning, I got up early and drove north along the 101. The redwood forests lay ahead and I wanted ample time to enjoy them. Enjoy them I did. I spent the morning wandering amongst them and driving the scenic route. Unfortunately - it started to rain which put a bit of a damper on things. Just a reminder that it IS October and what it'll be like in Vancouver.



College Cove


Walden being his usual studly self.
<3



My side of the mountain.

Wandering amongst the giants

Walden next to a redwood
A mighty redwood

No comments:

Post a Comment