Monday 13 October 2014

Coastal Air

When giving directions in Dutch 'rechts' means 'right' and 'rechtdoor' means 'straight'. I thought about how confusing this is as I turned right instead of left at an intersection just outside Alden California today. Left lead to Reno, Right to Redding. Yes - this means I've changed my plan once again.

Feeling like a mountaineer who's not going to summit - I made the command decision to head back to the coast to take the 101 for a couple of reasons:
  1. Time. The main factor here - I want to be back in Vancouver on Wednesday or Thursday. The original plan was doable but would mean a lot more driving / less site seeing.
  2. I'm not feeling 100%.
After Klamath falls I kept rolling south - and split off the highway at a place called Tulelake. Klamath Falls was a bustling metropolis compared to the rest of the places between there and Redding. I ended up boondocking outside the Lava Bed National Monument. It was a pleasant discovery and I spent the morning exploring the various sites around the park. I'll do a separate post for that sub-adventure.

So. after a long drive through some beautiful parks - I have relocated to the coast and am currently in Eureka Ca. The according to Wiki, entire city of Eureka is a state historical monument - so there is lots of old and interesting architecture here (I love it). That said, it does excite the armchair city planner in me; some parts of it needs a coat of paint - perhaps some residential buildings in the core and along the water front (empty parking lots at the moment) - it could be so amazing.


For a brief moment I though I had stumbled upon a pannenkoekenhuis in Klamath Falls. I think my Dutch fan will appreciate this.









A diner in Alden taunting me.

They do seem to be working at revitalizing the old town.



A cool old theatre.


I love bagels. I bought half a dozen for the road.


The Great Waldini at a American diner.



No comments:

Post a Comment