Thursday 9 October 2014

South Bound

I'm in Oregon somewhere. Salem?

The weather around Seattle was looking iffy so I cannon-balled down the I-5 as opposed to the original plan of moseying along the 101. I'm not sure that was the wisest idea.

Without a defined destination and a lack of local knowledge - I'm finding there is a funneling effect when on the highway. I'm reluctant to leave it because whenever I do - it inevitably ends with my circling a cluster of box stores and fast food chains. I need to buy a map.

So far, it's just been highways, exit signs and missed opportunities disappearing in the rear view. I need to relax.

I have been trying to determine the best method of acquiring USD currency at the best rate (while still regarding the opposite sex*). Paying for everything with VISA seems like it might be the most convenient but most costly? I need money**.

If it sounds like I'm questioning if this was a good idea - I am...I need a plan.



If anything. This is a good opportunity to be uncomfortable and examine why. I've been here before - I know that the discomfort I'm feeling is caused by my being ripped out of my routine. The reason I'm not keenly driving forward into unknown territory because, unlike the summer, I'm leaving something behind. Walden and I are no longer a self contained metal box of awesome on wheels. We are missing a piece - my copilot. Not trying to be sappy or anything but I need to come to grips with this before I can enjoy myself.

On the van-dwelling side of things, I'm re-learning lessons from the summer (or a least being reminded of them). Walden had got a little messy being a soccer mom city mobile. I spent this morning after waking up (spent it at a rest stop on the I-5) - reorganizing everything to where it was this summer. Everything in it's place. Anxiety: N - 1.

The hyper-loft sleeping bag seemed to perform much better than my down bag in damp conditions. I slept well.


I promised I'd take lots of photos.



* If you don't get that joke. Don't worry about it.

** I also made a pleasant discovery. Starbucks Cards, if loaded with CAD - convert at the current rate, without conversion fees - to USD. Quite handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment